Inizio is a provider of Program for the Education and Enrichment of Relational Skills (PEERS®), a 16-week evidence-based social skills intervention for motivated adolescents in middle school or high school who are interested in learning ways to help them make and keep friends. During each group session adolescents are taught important social skills and are given the opportunity to practice these skills in session during socialization activities. Parents are taught how to assist their teens in making and keeping friends by providing feedback through coaching during weekly socialization homework assignments.
Enrollment Is Limited
Classes are on Wednesday evenings from 4:30 to 6:00 pm or 6:30 to 8:00 pm at Inizio’s Granada Hills and La Canada locations. Group instruction is provided in English. Regular attendance is imperative. Parent participation is required. Groups begin every 16 weeks and enrollment is ongoing. Group placement is determined by clinician at intake appointment based on group dynamics. Please call (818) 937-0882
Topics of Instruction
- How to use appropriate conversational skills
- How to choose appropriate friends
- How to appropriately use electronic forms of communication
- How to appropriately use humor and assess humor feedback
- How to start, enter and exit conversations between peers
- How to organize successful get-togethers with friends
- How to be a good sport when playing games/sports with friends
- How to handle disagreements with friends and in relationships
- How to handle rejection, teasing, bullying, rumors/gossip, & cyber bullying
- How to change a bad reputation
PEERS for Adolescents Treatment Manual: This social skills manual assists teens in making and keeping friends. To learn more about the treatment or to purchase manual.
Parent Trade Book: Dr. Elizabeth Laugeson’s innovate book, “The Science of Making Friends: Helping Socially Challenged Teens and Young Adults” provides parents and families with evidence-based tools for building friendships and relationships, and includes a companion DVD. To order the book.